Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Reason You Quilt.....

a few years ago now, when trying to learn more about myself, and healing from way too many "things",  sorting out my relationships and finding out where i fit in this world, i asked my family "why do i quilt?".   i knew why i quilted, but i wanted to know if they knew.  if they indeed "knew" me.  what makes me tick......

as i had anticipated, not many did.  quite a sad knowledge for me actually......but, that is also part of the reason that i quilt LOL  however, my dear sweet patience, at age 17 or 18, had this to say.....



the reason you quilt....

-maybe its because its simply a hobby

-maybe its because its a distraction

-maybe its because when everything else falls apart you can still put something together.

-maybe its because you have the power to take fabric and transform it, it's art.  something of your own, something that makes you proud, because it makes others happy.

-maybe its because your quilts portray your relationship with anybody, god, yourself, your family.

-Whatever the reason is the reason you enjoy quilting, it is something of your very own.  Something you should be proud of regardless of who holds interest.  I do.  I think your creations are a beautiful thing.  you are a beautiful woman, and you are always appreciated.

                                                                 I love you mom!

                                                                                   -<3-patience

that piece of paper, one that i treasure, says so much to me.....it was a branch that she held out to me, when i needed one, and her  holding herself out there to me, even if she didn't really know, she atleast had attempted to answer and to let me know that she had given thought to my question.....and that she knew it was deeper than just enjoying a hobby......that there was more to me than that.....she gave to me an affirmation of my personhood.....

that is why i quilt.  it affirms me.  ME, who God created ME to be.....and, for all the reasons that patience gave, because, she was right.  and she does know me after all.......

5 comments:

  1. Thank you. She said it very well for you and for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She had very good answers. I've found few people who understand my need to quilt, mostly just other quilters. It keeps me sane though when life is all chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so insightful. Making logic out of chaos. Taking unwanted scraps and turning them into greatly desire pieces of art. Taking away stress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful perceptive young lady she is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to have a child try and understand their Mom.

    ReplyDelete